This spectacular image of Pen–when she was just a few days old–sums up the past 12+ months for me. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words…tired, wired, mired…
In March I turned thirty-one years old. The preceding year was a trip. In that single year I experienced:
- most of my first year being married to my best friend
- a pregnant wife
- the birth of our child
- caring for a newborn and a new mom
- being the proud father of a beautiful daughter
- completing an MBA
- working into a huge promotion
- being a core member of a team that launched a new state agency
- being a core member of a team that launched a new (faulty) website
- developing and implementing multiple programs, products, and services
- hiring a team of professional staff
- formally supervising someone for the first time
- formally managing a team for the first time
- firing someone for the first time
- being the subject of a deposition
- making multiple headlines (mostly bad, but some good)
It was a thrilling, stressful, not fun, eye opening, crazy fucking year. I think it was worth it.
I have a great life. A wonderful life. A healthy daughter. A promising career. Most important of all, a wonderful partner to share this all with. Good and bad.
So what’s thirty-one about? This next year is about designing a better me: a good career trajectory, a healthy body and mind, a well read citizen, a close family member, an engaged friend, an interesting acquaintance. I’m going to continue building my home–a happy place for a great, budding family. Eventually everything will come together. But I’ll always be working on something. Life’s about moments. And there are a lot of awesome moments ahead. I’m on a path as an individual. I’m on a journey with my girls.